Friday, June 29, 2007

News You May Have Missed: Yorkshire Man Not Allowed to Buy Eight Pasties

No, not those pasties.

A pasty is a small savory pie with a filling of meat, potatoes, and onion. More about these coveted items can be found on Wikipedia.

But this isn't a cooking blog, it's a news item, and for that we turn to the U.K.'s Wakefield Express, which reports that a West Yorkshire man was threatened with the police for attempting to buy eight pasties at a supermarket. Apparently, the store has a limit of six.

Proving that British humor just sort of creates itself, check out the article here and be sure to watch the short video that accompanies it.

2 comments:

  1. Umm, I didn't watch the video because it is ridiculous to me from just reading the article. The whole thing actually stresses me out rather than makes me laugh.

    If I watched the video, I'd probably be yelling "just say yes already!"

    Has it occurred to the shop that they wouldn't have expired pasties if they allowed people to buy what they needed even if it was more than six? And that if the demand is greater than the supply, maybe they can--good heavens--make some more? Where I work, we are elated when anything drives up the average sales ticket. We win awards sometimes when customers want more of what we have to sell.

    Maybe it proves that other cultures are not as consumer driven as ours. But my reaction to this story--I actually feel sick--tells me that I have been affected greatly by my sales mindset.

    We are opening a new store a few miles away in a week. My company doesn't open new stores in an area unless the current nearby stores show a real profit margin. My store in particular has been the second highest in sales in our district for over two years.

    I am thankful that God has blessed us with all these loyal customers. I hope they never go through the kind of frustration that the poor Yorkshire man went through. Really, the shop should be ashamed of their lack of service. Unbelievable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If England didn't exist, we'd have to invent one.

    ReplyDelete