Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Wincing at the Gospel


Last week, I blogged about how we can seek to avoid Jesus by developing a false sense of righteousness. Those who don't think they're ill won't be interested in knowing what the physician has to say.

This week, I came across a poem by Julie Stoner that addresses the same issue. It's from the June/July 2009 issue of First Things. Poetry and I often don't get along, but this one I like:


"I Did Not Come to Call the Righteous"


Matthew 9:9–13

We ninety-nine obedient sheep;
we workers hired at dawn’s first peep;
we faithful sons who strive to please,
forsaking prodigalities;
we virgins who take pains to keep
our lamps lit, even in our sleep;
we law-abiding Pharisees;

we wince at gospels such as these.


1 comment:

  1. I've been thinking about this a lot, that righteousness for righteousness' sake becomes a waste of time. We may think we are the 99 obedient sheep, but actually we are the 99 lost sheep.

    Or, the 100 found sheep who joyfully follow their Shepherd.

    ReplyDelete