Saturday, December 29, 2007

Point - Counterpoint


John Donne (1572-1631):
"No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friend's or of thine own were. Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee."
.
Overheard at Tandem Coffeehouse, Portland, OR (12/28/07):
"You know what?
I really am alone.
I really am an island."

1 comment:

  1. I think you should blog about Portland? Is it a land of ports?

    I found the coolest coffee shop while in Houston, surely making my visits more enjoyable in the future.

    hope you are well, and yes I owe you a call.

    ReplyDelete